[meteorite-list] Meteorites Found By Nininger

From: AL Mitterling <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Dec 17 03:50:15 2005

Hi bernd, Rob and all,

I have this Nininger book which is dated 1950 but that was far from the
time Harvey Nininger stopped hunting for meteorites.

The Nininger Collection of Meteorites lists not only ones that Nininger
personally found but also those found using Nininger program of recovery
of meteorites. Two of the first meteorites found were after the November
23rd, 1923 fall that Nininger witnessed, while trying to find that fall.
One iron and one stony were recovered.

The best bet would be to go through the Catalog of Meteorites data base
(on disk) and type in the word Nininger. This should provide a listing
of actual meteorites. It would then be necessary to go through all of
Nininger's books (he has excellent references of meteorites
alphabetized) and do the research to figure out the question.

A review of the Nininger meteorites in the British Collection and in the
Tempe Arizona Collection might yield other specimens. As Bernd said time
consuming but it would be a nice publication I'd buy.

--AL Mitterling
Mitterling Meteorites