[meteorite-list] Introduction

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Dec 15 16:23:31 2005

Hi Gary,

Welcome to the List and to collecting meteorites. I would say you got into
collecting at the right time. I say this because of the amount of material
that is now available to collectors is immense. Just a few years ago, there
was not much selection as far as rare material goes. Now, thanks to
Northwest Africa (Sahara Desert) and other hot deserts the selection is
outstanding. The prices are in tune with the amount of supply and are the
best I have seen so your timing seems perfect. A few years from now I am
sure some collectors will be kicking themselves for not taking advantage of
the present situation.

Instead of a handful of meteorite hunters, there are now thousands if you
count the nomads who have been the most successful at recovering these rare
objects. Then we have a group of hunters here in the United States who have
become increasingly successful at recoveries in the Mojave Desert. Add to
this Steve Arnold's recent, outstanding and record breaking Pallasite find
and you have the makings of some pretty exciting times. I almost forgot the
Europeans and Russians who have come up with some excellent material as well
and have been at it for a long time.

Dave Carothers pointed out the presence of the International Meteorite
Collectors Association (IMCA). This is a great not-for-profit group of
collectors, dealers and scientists who are here to serve this great
avocation. Their members adhere to the strictest standards and a
well-written Code of Ethics to help insure that collectors will be getting
the real deal. Meteorite collecting as a hobby is starting to mature and
the IMCA will be there to add much needed professionalism. Sit back and
enjoy the dynamics that are now in play and will be there in the future to
insure continued growth and satisfaction.

Best Wishes and Welcome Aboard,

Adam Hupe
The Hupe Collection
Team LunarRock