[meteorite-list] Rocks From Space Picture of the Day

From: bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Dec 11 14:51:54 2005

Martin appreciatively wrote:

"Great pieces of iron Bernd"

Thanks Martin. These explosive fragments were among the first S-A pieces "easily"
available back in 1986, when I acquired them at the Munich Meteorite and Gem Show.
Regmaglypted specimens were very hard to get and really cost a little fortune.

"is there really such a thing as a shield-shaped
nose-cone shrapnel-like fragment of S-A?"

The answer is, of course, no, if you think of the aerodynamical processes that shaped
the real shield-shaped nose-cones with their thumbprints. I was only referring to the
geometric shape of my specimen - not to the aerodynamic flight through the atmosphere.

My piece was probably spalled off too late in its flight but it does mimic the real ones.
Maybe a few more kilometers would have been sufficient to make it what it looks like
(... or what I would like it to be ;-)

Cheers,

Bernd