[meteorite-list] Iron from India?

From: Martin Horejsi <accretiondesk_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Dec 10 12:09:53 2005

Hi All,

I suspect that if it is a meteorite, it is more likely South American
than Indian--if you know what I mean.

Indian meteorites are in most collections but Indian irons are quite
rare. Here is an excerpt from my latest Accretion Desk article in the
Meteorite Times:

"Indian meteorites are not really in short supply with the online
Catalogue of Meteorites listing 132 of them with an astounding 94% of
them witnessed to fall. India has 121 stone meteorites of which 14 are
achondrites, and 99 are chondrites. There are eight irons (of which 6
are witnessed falls), and one pallasite (a fall of course)."

If you want to see more Indian meteorites, or read some articles about
the 2003 fall there, here is a link to my article:

http://www.meteoritetimes.com/Back_Links/2005/December/Accretion_Desk.htm

Cheers,

Martin