[meteorite-list] Dazzling Meteor Reported From Australia

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Dec 7 17:02:02 2005

http://www.abc.net.au/news/items/200512/1526279.htm

Police report 'dazzling' meteor
Australian Broadcasting Corporation
December 8, 2005

There were reports of a big meteorite crossing south-western New South
Wales and central Victoria overnight.

Victorians from Geelong to Mildura called police after apparently
watching the object.

Senior Victorian Constable Peter Bullock and his partner were patrolling
the Calder Highway at Kyneton at about 11:20pm AEDT when they saw what
they say was a huge light.

Senior Constable Bullock says they had a clear view of the meteorite
dropping towards the ground in the eastern sky.

"My offsider with me had a look as well and we were just dazzled," he said.

"It was unbelievable, it was a huge light, much bigger than any star. It
was sort of round and had a very long tail and seemed to be dropping
fairly slowly, so we were able to see it for 15 to 20 seconds."

"I said to my offsider, 'that's a meteorite, it's certainly too big to
be a falling star' and he said the same thing."