[meteorite-list] Total Number of Meteorites?

From: MexicoDoug_at_aol.com <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Dec 7 03:48:44 2005

<< "If you take the info in the MetBull database on face value,
 you find that there are ... Irons + stony irons: 521 tons" >>

Wow, regarding weight that's about a ton for every collector, give or
take...time to rent a U-haul to pick up mine:)

Just as there are good comments about the foolishness of the high side tons,
the "total known weight" is systemmatically under-represented on virtually all
minor impacting meteorites, (though with Campo del Cielo the
underrepresentation is incredibly serious, too) frequently showing a factor of 1/5 or 1/10
for the less devastating falls. Why anyone would wantto compare meteorite
weight to industrial precious metals I still haven't grasped...Is it the Gibeon
dials on tons of Rolex watches? Allende ... what 2 tons? Actually is good bet
is 5 tons, more than all meteorite carbonaceous recognized, I think, and was a
very intensive campaign that arrived at the 2 tons. Those reserves are
somewhere...behaving themselves...

Maybe it's not always a good idea to assist in such potentially misleading
comparisons in the press, where ohh ahhh reigns supreme and unbridled and truth
and authenticity take a back seat to drama ... and sources are being sought
out - the way I read this is it will be bound to come back and shoot us in the
foot so best to tread very carefully and softly...when serving as information
sources for newspaper articles.
Saludos, Doug