[meteorite-list] Total Number of Meteorites?

From: Jeff Grossman <jgrossman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Dec 6 13:08:19 2005

If you take the info in the MetBull database on face value, you find
that there are 581 metric tons of approved plus provisional
meteorites out there, broken down as (rounded to nearest ton):

Irons+stony irons: 521 tons
Ordinary chondrites: 52 tons
Carbonaceous chondrites: 3 tons
HED achondrites: 1 ton
Aubrites: 1 ton
Unclassified: 1 ton
Provisional: 1 ton

Of course, this is really crude, because the masses of some
meteorites, especially those found in many pieces, are not very well known.

jeff

are really given as approximat numbers