[meteorite-list] RE: Gravity poll

From: Göran Axelsson <axelsson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Aug 21 17:01:12 2005

I took the only true answer... "you never know"

As the question doesn't contain the necessary information to decide
the outcome of this experiment.

The question was :
"Two same shape spheres (1kg and 10kg) dropped from 100m.
 Which one will reach the Earth's surface faster?"

It's the "same shape spheres" that is the problem. If the shape is
the same (spherical) it doesn't say anything about size. So drag
could be an issue if the size is not the right to compensate.
So depending on the relative size it could be any of the spheres
that reach the ground first.

Nowhere in the question is there any referenses to the density
of the spheres. Even if the size is equal this could make the
experiment fail. If the density is less than the surrounding air
neither sphere will reach the ground.

I rest my case.

  :-)

It reminds me of the story of how to measure the height of
a building with a barometer.
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jcdverha/scijokes/2_12.html#subindex

Nittpickingly yours, G?ran