[meteorite-list] Update: Captain Scott's meteorites

From: tracy latimer <daistiho_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Aug 15 16:01:49 2005

A couple of months ago, I proposed a question to the List about possible
meteorites having been brought back from Antarctica in Captain Scott's rock
samples. I just heard back from Dr. Sara Russell at the British Natural
History Museum, where I have been trying to arrange a viewing of the
meteorites in storage when I visit London this fall. The mineralogy
department there also is responsible for curating the rock samples from
Captain Scott's expedition. She said that, as interesting an idea as it
might have been, there were definitely NO meteorites brought back in Captain
Scott's effects. Oh, well; it would have been an extra dose of science
gained from a tragic loss.

Tracy Latimer