[meteorite-list] RE: Lodranites in stony-iron ???

From: Norbert Classen <trifid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Aug 12 16:47:35 2005

Hi Pierre,

They (the NIPR) are obviously holding on to an older classification scheme.
The lodranites were originally grouped with the stony-irons before their
close relationship to the acapulcoites and the PACs were revealed through
modern research (such as O-isotopic studies, etc.). The siderophyres do
represent a somewhat anachronistic class of meteorites that consisted of
just one single member, Steinbach. Today, Steinbach is grouped with the IVA
iron meteorites, and it is considered as an anomalous silicated member of
this group. Nevertheless, it's tempting to compare Steinbach with the
pallasites, and to consider it as a true stony-iron ;-)

I hope this helps.

Best,
Norbert

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----

Hello to the List,

I'm reading a document published by the NIPR
(Antarctic meteorites japanese research center) and
I'm surprised to look at their classification page.

Lodranites and Siderophyres (?) are considered as
stony-iron meteorites.

Can someone tell me what are Siderophyres and why are
the Lodranites in stony-irons (I always thought they
were achondrites) ?

Best regards,

Pierre-Marie PELE
www.meteor-center.com