[meteorite-list] Question on oriented SA shrapnel

From: E. L. Jones <jonee_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Aug 10 09:52:17 2005

I've been around this so long ,it never occured to to think this was the
result of ground impact, but I understand how it would look that way.
When one thinks about it, All or the SAwe find was shrapnel-form at the
beginning of breakup. Fragments which separated earlier had longer
opportunity to round off and regmaglypt. So far as I understand the
physics, shearing stress which exceeds the cohesiveness of the
meteoroid body can begin high up(15miles?) where the density of the
atmosphere presents enough resistance and reaches maximum around 5 miles
above sea level. I think the artwork suggests a massive main body
disruption high up , which would have yielded a swarm. Seems there were
perhaps a few subsequent bursts down the smoke stream. We might want to
look at the SA Postage Stamp again.

When you see shrapnel which is ripped and torn and remember this is iron
we are talking about, this only gives a glimpse of what terrific energy
absorbing potential the atmosphere has. Quiet Awe inspiring!

Elton