[meteorite-list] Repost: PLANETS, PART THREE, Sort of, continued...

From: Sterling K. Webb <kelly_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Aug 3 05:45:08 2005

Hi, Everybody!

    I said:

    Water ice we think we know, but we don't. We only know Ice I, weak
pitiful stuff, quite ephemeral. Each Ice has radically different
properties from Ice I and from each other, different densities, melting
and boiling points, atomic structure. Each is a remarkable substance,
unlike anything ever seen on Earth.

    For the mineral structures of Ice, see:
<http://www.uwgb.edu/dutchs/PETROLGY/Ice%20Structure.HTM>
    Petrologists ahould love this stuff... Neat diagrams.

   And:
<http://www.uwgb.edu/dutchs/PETROLGY/Ice%20Structure.HTM>
   More complicated...

   And, for a really complex view, see:
<http://www.lsbu.ac.uk/water/phase.html>
    It shows the Ices up through Ice XII ! Imagine the internal dynamics
of a really big IceWorld! I can't, but I know there's a lot going on
there we don't understand.

Sterling K. Webb