[meteorite-list] BLOG REPORT: DEAN AND FARMER LEAVING METEORITES FOREVER

From: dean bessey <deanbessey_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Apr 30 12:27:30 2005

This is really funny. Almost worth reading the Blog
for its entertainment value (Sort of like reading the
national enquirer without the respectible or credible
parts)
But front page of the Blog says the following:
Over the years we have seen meteorite dealers come and
go. Now, 2 well known dealers, Mike and Dean have
announced they are selling out and leaving the
country.
Dean wants to escape the cold of Canada and Mike
states:
“I will not be leaving the business, just wiping out
all debt, and buying a house down south the spend my
time not hunting meteorites sitting on the beach
sipping mango margaritas made from mangos from my
garden, know what I mean?”
????
Has business for meteorite dealers reached a point
where it’s not profitable?
Now I dont know farmers plans but given the strenght
of the meteorite market the last few months I cant
imagine anybody leaving the meteorite business because
of poor sales. (An alternative hypotesis that that he
made enough money to retire wasnt considered on the
blog).
But my lifelong dream has always been to go to a
tropical island, open a bar on a beach overlooking a
coral reef with a river running through it so farmers
panama plans sounds more like retirement to me than
abandoning a bad line of business.
Also, contrary to what the blog might lead you to
believe I have no intention of leaving the meteorite
business an dmove to New Zealand. In fact the past 3
months has been my best 3 months ever and I have sold
over a quarter million dollars of meteorites this year
so far. I cant keep up and havent been able to keep my
ebay auctions over 1000 all year. A lot of people
genuinely believes that the meteorite business is
bad. Mostly these are older collectors and dealers who
has seen the price of the collections (Or inventory)
drop in value over 90%. But the real buyers nowadays
are new collectors who has no idea that the market has
dropped in value so much. Its not a demand problem
that the meteorite world is facing. Its a supply
crises.
However, while I will not getting out my meteorite
business will evolve. I wont be selling such huge
quantities of cheaper material much longer. Partly
this is because of my move to New Zealand and higher
shipping costs (My retirement plans noted above are
still in place - I even have my pacific island wife
(See
http://www.meteoriteshop.com/wedding/wedding.html)
although it might be nice to skip the working a bar
part and just completely retire and live on the beach
near a coral reef) but also I cant seem to buy much
stuff in Morocco anymore. Thats the real reason my
business will evolve. I used to bring over 600 kilos
every 6 to 8 weeks 3 years ago. Thats all I have
bought in the past year now. Not leaving that line of
business because of poor sales. I am leaving because
of a shortage of supply.
Also, just because I am going to New Zealand dont mean
I cant still deal in meteorites. I never said that I
was. But I have to go until my wife gets a New Zealand
passport (We spent a lot of time deciding if we would
live in Canada or New Zealand and I agreed to go see
how I would like it there after my wife showed me a
map that showed Tahiti and Fiji as well as numerous
coral reefs closer to New Zealand than they were to
canada - how did that happen). I think its every
canadians duty to go down to the lake (Near the stelco
plant) once a year and destroy a refridgerator - we
should create enough global warming to make a tropical
reef of Newfoundland in 15 years flat. Its not fair
that Canadians have been deprived of a coral reef and
only gets sunshine 6 days a year. Need to take matters
into our own hands.
So poor dean has to leave nice Canada and go live near
a warm south pacific beach. Luckily they have internet
and postal service there so I dont have to get a real
job. I dont know if they have mcdonalds there so I am
not sure if I will actually be leaving civilization or
not. But I should be able to rough it for at least a
year or two I am sure.
But I am selling down a lot of things and listing tons
of meteorites and stuff on ebay. So be sure to HELP
SUPPORT POOR DEAN'S RETIREMENT FUND. He is so poor
with no sales that somebody should send him money (If
you dont believe me? - just go read the blog).
And while it is true that I am agressinvely selling
off stuff and not buying now (I even skipped Tucson
this year as I didnt want to slow ebay down even for a
weekend) I will always be back - even though a lot of
stuff is offered cheap in my auctions and sales right
now as I try and liquidate things so I wont have to
pay storage or shipping fees when I go and to raise
money.
But getting back to the Blog, as I said I cant imagine
anybody leaving the meteorite business now because
they are not making money - and certainly not me or
farmer (Not for lack of sales reasons anyway).
There are other things on the Blog also that makes one
laugh. Just look. Its the funniest most lack of
intelligence reading that you will ever have.
And remember, send poor dean all the money you can
courtesy of the blog.
I wonder if I will have this much time on my hands
when I go to New Zealand. Hopefully I can buy my own
tropical island somewhere and just write emails while
sipping strawberry daquiris and chugging guinness over
a laptop on my very own beach. Remember, take the blog
to heart and HELP SUPPORT POOR DEAN'S BEACH
RETIREMENT FUND buy buying all of his ebay items (And
buy the sale items in my new sale that I plan to post
early around 9am EST tomorrow morning).
Remember, you wouldent want to stop receiving these
long educational emails from me.
Cheers
DEAN

If profits are high and business brisk - Why check out?