[meteorite-list] Rediculous Crater Question

From: CalSouth1_at_aol.com <CalSouth1_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Apr 29 19:10:05 2005

It seems that it is hard for most to pick up the feature I spotted on the
NOAA satellite weather animations.

I guess I have been looking at these satellite pictures since the 70's when I
worked at Goldstone and Goddard. So I must be seeing something else. One
has to check it at several times a day for over a week to get a chance of seeing
the feature in all its glory.

Anyway I found a decent geographical relief map and lo and behold my crater
feature was moved East about 400 mi. It appears the States grid on the NOAA
map is off by that much.

Received a reply from a USGS researcher who spotted another smaller crater
feature next to ShipRock NMex. His was much better formed and it sure looks
like a crater to me. But then I am just a hobbiest.

Anyway on the relief map my two large features become more complicated and
one might have to stretch it a few to come to any conclusions....However both
features show to me and there is even the upwelling in the center of the larger
circle. I guess the only way to make sure is to check the mountain ring
looking for shocked quartz.

But as the Geographer put it, "I have not identified anything definitive
about this area and whether there is meteorite or volcanic activity that would
have caused a crater here. However, your hypothesis is a worthy one, but would
have to be tested."

And so I have something to do now if I ever get to travel to NMex and check
these features out.

Thanks for your comments, I appreciate it.

John