[meteorite-list] Rediculous Crater Question

From: CalSouth1_at_aol.com <CalSouth1_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 28 00:47:13 2005

Dear List,

Recently while looking at the satellite weather animations, I spotted a large
circle over the four corners region of the U.S. Ariz, Nmex, Utah, Colo.

I could see it on both infra-red and visible photos.....and then another
circle within the larger circle which I estimate aro 400 mi in diameter and the
smaller 100 mi in dia. The smaller being in the SouthEast of the larger.

The large circle center is directly over the four corners.

You can see these features on various maps...and they look like impact
craters. Go to the following address and check it out for a few days....it will
show up...or just check what available maps you have and it still shows up.

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/satellite/index.php?wfo=lox

I also contacted USGS and am awaiting their reply.

So, I am just surprised that such a feature is there, and all the years I
have been looking at the satellite maps have never seen it. Also, I do not know
the geographic elevations, but it appears to be a high mountain ring with a
depression in the center...except for the smaller ring which distorts the larger.

This could also be a large plateau elevation which might raise other
questions....how did this 400 mi. dia. plateau come to be a 360 deg. feature.

Anyway, just food for thought and appreciate your comments.

John