[meteorite-list] AD - MOLDAVITE IN MATRIX SLABS

From: Rob Wesel <nakhladog_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Apr 24 04:24:27 2005

Hello all -

Ever wonder what fresh found moldavites look like in the tunnels as they are
dug?

Well they look a bit like this:

http://www.nakhladogmeteorites.com/sale-pics/mold1.JPG

Buried deep in the ground below several layers of sedimentary rock lies a
layer of alluvial debris, within which the moldavites are found.

I have a rare treat today: Huge slabs of matrix that were excavated from
tunnels using a method of applying a thin resin to the area surrounding a
moldavite find followed by cutting the entire section out. They are framed
and the interior of the frame measures 16.5" by 13", huge, sprawling, and
super cool.

The whole face of the matrix was sprayed with resin and it is slow to come
off the moldavites but with time and a bit of acetone and a Q-tip they clean
up easily. I hit these only for a couple minutes to photograph them and they
already look 100% better. I went easy as each person's preference is
different but these than be further exposed as desired.

There are ONLY THREE for sale and when they are gone they're gone. These
were recovered after years of storage, I have no idea where to get more.

Framed and ready to hang, $400 each plus shipping. I can ship overseas but
they are big and heavy, it's going to be expensive. U.S. I figure around $25

These are not linked up on my main page, wanted the list to have first
crack.

Feast, it's likely you have never seen anything like these. #3 has the photo
horizontal as it is set to hang that way, easy enough to change.

http://www.nakhladogmeteorites.com/catalog/mold1.htm
http://www.nakhladogmeteorites.com/catalog/mold2.htm
http://www.nakhladogmeteorites.com/catalog/mold3.htm

Rob Wesel