[meteorite-list] Franconia Field Trip

From: MexicoDoug_at_aol.com <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Apr 22 17:00:08 2005

En un mensaje con fecha 04/21/2005 10:22:57 PM Mexico Daylight Time,
thetoprok_at_aol.com escribe:

>I thought I would share some photo's of my first outing in the
>Franconia strewn field. There are pictures of meteorites in-situ, as
>well as some wildlife shots.

Hola Larry,

Those were some nice pictures at Franconia Wash strewn field. The GPS
coordinates in the images were altered so we couldn't appreciate them as much as
we would like (Is there a pay-for-view site or something:)?). But the
wildlife was nice. The Gopherus (Desert tortoise) is an endangered and protected
species federally and in Arizona if anyone wondered (i.e., it must be left in
peace to enjoy its 80 year or so lifespan and meeting with all the rock
collectors it meets). The Phrynosoma (horned toad) looks like it could be P.
mcallii (It would be helpful to alert Fish and Game in Arizona if it were - one
nice thing meteorite hunters could do as a favor to wildlife conservation
efforts generally speaking and get some positive press on opportunity.) If it
were mcallii that would be one of the most northernmost recent records, and that
species is protected and needs to be left alone at all times in Arizona.
The other horned toads like the Texas Horned Toad and others you can collect
and keep up to four of them as pets this year, but they are very challenging to
raise, and unless you have the time and $, and raise their favorite species
of ant, both master and pet will probably get sick of force feeding...just
thought I would mention that for anyone interested in the other natural things
in that beautiful desert area...and to keep meteorite hunters welcome since
it seems someone is there at all times working the place...

Anyway, Very nice work!
Saludos, Doug