FW: Re: [meteorite-list] NPA 01-03-1821 Possible Lixna Meteorite Fallarticle

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Apr 22 14:40:45 2005

Hello list,

Martin's e-mail didn't make it to the list, so I am forwarding it below at
Martin request.

Nice specimen Martin.

Clear Skies,
Mark

From: Martin Horejsi <martinh_at_isu.edu>
To: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_msn.com>
CC: meteorite-list_at_meteoritecentral.com
Subject: Re: [meteorite-list] NPA 01-03-1821 Possible Lixna Meteorite
Fallarticle
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 11:49:52 -0600

Hi All,

Here are a couple pics of my Lixna specimen. I am told that the old cards
indicate that this piece of Lixna came from the nearby university, and
likely where the analysis described in the article was done.

http://challenge.isu.edu/lixna/lixna.html

Mark, regarding the dates: Lixna fell on July 12, 1820; the St. Petersburg
date is Sept. 18 (1820?), and the Paper date is January 3, 1821. Is my
assumption correct that the Republic Compiler running a translated story
from the St. Petersburg, Russia newspaper?

Name History:
  1703-1914 Saint-Petersburg
  1914-1924 Petrograd
  1924-1991 Leningrad
  1991-present Saint-Petersburg

Impressive if news of a meteorite relatively small meteorite fall in Russia
traveled so quickly, and was even thought newsworthy in the fledgling USA.

Happy viewing (again),

Martin