[meteorite-list] NPA 06-16-1902 Henry Ward Finds Huge Mexican Meteorite

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 21 16:54:25 2005

Paper: The Newark Advocate
City: Newark, Ohio
Date: Monday, June 16, 1902
Page: 7 (of 8)

HUGE METEOR IN MEXICO

Professor Henry Ward Estimates His Find to Weigh Fifty Tons.

     One of the largest meteorites known to science has been unearthed in
western Mexico by Professor Henry A. Ward, formerly of Rochester, N. Y., now
of Chicago, says the Philadelphia Press. The first public announcement of
his great find was made a few nights ago before the Rochester Historical
society. Professor Ward is well known as the founder of the Ward Natural
Science establishment of Rochester. His collection of meteorites is fourth
in point of size in the world and contains many stones of great rarity and
value.
     The discovery of this great meteorites is considered an important
addition to the knowledge of these mysterious visitors. The stone weighs
over fifty tons, is over fifteen feet in length and lays buried by the
terrific force of its own momentum nearly twenty feet in the earth. It
plowed into it like a steel shell from a thirteen inch gun.
     Professor Ward broke off small portions of the great mass as specimens
for his collection, but left the remaining intact practically as he found
it. He said that the cost of transporting it to the seacoast, seventy-one
miles away, would have been more than $50,000. He succeeded in securing
several fine photographs fo the stone which show it in all its huge,
ungainly shape.

(end)

Thanks for the kind words on the article posting. Those made on and off
list. It is somewhat a guess on what our general public would find most of
interest. This goes on posting NPA's, my Meteorite Times columns, web
pages, et al. Typically I make more of an effort on posting things on
meteorites and people, not currently available on the 'net. The Henry Ward
article got quite a few off list replys, and therefore today's postings are
on....Henry Ward.

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
Wichita, Kansas
http://www.meteoritearticles.com
http://www.kansasmeteoritesociety.com
http://www.imca.cc

http://stores.ebay.com/meteoritearticles

PDF copy of this article, and most I post (and about 1/2 of those on my
website), is available upon e-mail request.

The NPA in the subject line, stands for Newspaper Article. The old list
server allowed us a search feature the current does not, so I guess this is
more for quick reference and shortening the subject line now.