[meteorite-list] Catalog of the Vatican State Meteorite Collection

From: bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Apr 20 15:44:05 2005

Hello All,

http://utenti.lycos.it/Meteoriteman/index.htmlVATICAN

Just got a private mail from List member Matteo that he is
the author of that site and that he will publish an updated
version as soon as possible. Thank you, Matteo!

Hello Tom,

We should refrain from saying or writing things that may or
might or probably surely will hurt somebody else's feelings, in
this case religious feelings or religious beliefs. Let's keep
the "Pope Thread" off this list. I am a Protestant, not Catholic
but I am with Mike Farmer on this topic: "That is not a meteorite
topic".

Brother Consolmagno, whom most of us know (not in person), is
the curator of the Vatican State Meteorite Collection, and we
may assume that he and / or his predecessors legally acquired
these meteorites through trades and purchases.

> God is not going to give the pope anything

That's once again a very personal perspective that I won't comment on.

But here's a personal comment from Brother Consolmagno regarding
meteorites that I like very much because it connects religion and science:

"by seeing how God created the universe I get a flavor of God's personality."

More about Brother Consolmagno here:

http://clavius.as.arizona.edu/vo/R1024/GConsolmagno.html

and about Vatican Science (including meteorites):

http://www.acfnewsource.org/science/vatican_science.html

Best wishes,

Bernd