[meteorite-list] Photographing Ghubara?

From: martinh_at_isu.edu <martinh_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Apr 15 09:29:56 2005

Hi All,

Regarding Tom's question:

First, I suggest center-weighted or spot metering. Then...

Digital: set the white balance while holding the camera close but not shadowing the surface of the slice. Then shoot at an EV+1.

Film: Overexpose by 1.5-2 F-stops.

The background makes little difference unless the specimen occupies a fraction of the overall image and metering is a problem, or if the only option is full automatic.

I prefer a white background since the artifacts of overexposing and lightening with Photoshop are hard to see since it all goes white anyway. Other colors can do odd things when lightened.

Cheers,

Martin