AW: [meteorite-list] Muonionalusta - Displacement Lines

From: Jörn Koblitz <koblitz_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 14 11:03:58 2005

Dear Jeff,

Interesting feature! It certainly doesn't represent a grain boundary of former austenite crystals, as often seen in Gibeon pieces. In such a case, the kamacite lamellae would change their direction at the boundary due to the different crystal orientation of the former austenite grains (which, btw, had extensions rather in the meter than centimeter scale). I think, here we see shear bands, although unusual narrow and sharply defined. Such shear (or displacement) boundaries can be produced by shock loading at rather low temperature, when the Fe-Ni metal is fairly brittle, for example by impact with another meteoroid in space.

Cheers,
J?rn