[meteorite-list] CV3: strange inclusion(?)

From: Martin Horejsi <martinh_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Apr 8 12:03:58 2005

Hi Peter,

Quite an interesting inclusion you have there. It is odd that the saw
marks appear both before and after the raised inclusion, but nothing on
the inclusion.

Applying the parsimony of science, it appears that one of three things
has happened:

First, the inclusion raised up after the slice was cut (by weathering
or some other process).

Second, the inclusion is harder than the saw blade.

Or third, the inclusion was added or created during or after the sawing
of the slice.

The material appears to be some sort of melt, but it has the
meteor-wrong sheen of slag or welding debris. Since the appearance is
somewhat glassy, and assuming that one of the above presumptions is
correct, I have to go with number three, that the inclusion formed
during the cutting. Maybe the heat of the sawing melted a inclusion
material that then solidified and expanded as the saw blade passed.

Just my best guess.

Cheers and thanks for sharing your images!

Martin H