[meteorite-list] metal detectors

From: goldmaster <goldmaster_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Sep 23 17:56:29 2004

Hi John and List

Most quality VLF gold machines will do the job of hearing the low iron
chondrites . The older model goldmasters are my favorite because the box is
removable from the wand . Which makes the load on your arm much easier for a
long day of hunting . The GM4 and GMT have a touch pad and meters which are
just extra weight and most the box is not removable . The gold bug 2 is far
more sensitive than the original gold bug . There are several machines that
are auto ground balancing or ground tracking and are useless unless they
have a manual ground balance mode .You might hear a low iron chondrite on
the first or second sweep but the machine will track it out . Another tip if
your hunting a particular field take a piece of that meteorite as a test
piece to the hunt sight . Then you can ground balance and put the test piece
on the ground and listen closely to the sounds your machine is making on it
. It will more than likely be a more suttle sound to other trash targets
that's left by those before !! If I were stranded on a desert island and had
to find meteorites to trade for coconuts my detector of choice would be in
this order .
GM3
GM Vsat
GM2
GM4
GMT
Gold bug 2
Gold bug (original)

Then I would hope Santa Claus would bring me a big eliptical mono coil for
chistmas so I could get even more coconuts !!
Happy Huntin John Blennert