[meteorite-list] Alien Microbes Could Survive Crash-Landing

From: VeIocity_at_aol.com <VeIocity_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Sep 18 17:45:51 2004

My contention is NOT that such a transfer is impossible, especially over billions of Earth years. But I think it extraordinarily unlikely that the infant Mars could---in the first 300 to 500 million years of solar system formation---evolve a hearty population of anaerobic bacteria (capable of surving for millions of years in the hostile extremes of space migration) and then "seed" life on Earth by whatever means, while our planet was still an infant, as well. I think the evolutionary window is just too small for all this conjecture. On the other hand, it DOES seem that life appeared on this planet fairly suddenly---contaminating Earth, as it were, like a particularly nasty swimmer diving into a sterile swimming pool. To me, anyway, it would seem more likely that our entire young solar system may have been "contaminated" with older and more complex organic materials from an extrasolar source---in other words, all life seeded pretty much simultaneously, IF indeed we find evidence of life elsewhere in this
system. Just two cents worth.