[meteorite-list] RE: The Other Mars Meteorite - Lafayette Meteorite

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Sep 17 03:07:18 2004

The endcut from the Lafayette stone is on display in
the Field Museum in Chicago. I wish my image of it
came out, but they have it in a very unassuming
display case with many other meteorites and with very
poor lighting. Maybe someone local to Chicago has a
better image of that display.

Within walking distance of the Field Museum is the
Adler Planetarium,
<http://marzmeteorite.tripod.com/mars-rocks/adler-mars23.jpg>

where to my surprise I found another nakhlite in a
Mars Meteorite display case:

<http://marzmeteorite.tripod.com/mars-rocks/adler-mars05.jpg>

Displayed were two meteorite samples on loan from the
Field Museum, but they weren't labeled. One appears
to match Museum Catalog description for Shergotty:

<http://marzmeteorite.tripod.com/mars-rocks/adler-mars07.jpg>

While the other appears to match the Field Museum
Catalog description for Nakhla(?):

<http://marzmeteorite.tripod.com/mars-rocks/adler-mars09.jpg>

I contacted an official of the Planetarium but he said
that he was an astronomer and didn't know the name for
the rocks. Again, maybe some List member more local
to Chicago can confirm the ID for these Mars rocks?

Bob
 .