[meteorite-list] meteorwrong = hematite ?

From: Zelimir Gabelica <Z.Gabelica_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Sep 16 13:02:54 2004

Xavier,

Bernd wrote:

Xavier, if *you* want to be 100% sure they are (not) meteoritic,
why not cut a window or have a window cut into your two stones.
If there are FeNi patches (nickel-iron) and maybe chondrules or
other tell-tale features, it would be proof beyond doubt. Just an
idea from Germany.
Best wishes,
Bernd

Bernd is completely right.
Perhaps a quicker test would be you simply try first with a magnet. A
hematite (and generally - not always though- a meteorwrong) is not attracted.
As your pictures show stones that resemble ordinary chondrites (quasi
always attracted), the magnet test will give you a rapid idea/guess.

If you want to make sure the wrong is hematite (and not any other type of
terrestrial stone), make a simple mark (streak) on a piece of rough china
(porcelain). Hematite will give a red-brown mark (hence the name of the
mineral). Most stones yield no mark or often some gray-black one.

Note that some terrestrial minerals like magnetite (of course) do attract
magnet....

In case of doubt, Bernd's advice is the next to follow

An idea from France

All the best

Zelimir

A 18:29 16/09/04 +0200, vous avez ?crit :

>Well, at least it's clear, everybody seems to agree ! :) (for Michael :
>the four pics are the same rock)
>
>a chance I didn't pay much ! and a proof I have a lot to learn ! I have
>another
>one that I will show you, but I guess it will be the same then as it was
>the same vendor... :)
>
>So far I didn't want to break it but I guess I will crack it open just to
>make sure...
>
>and to begin to learn, what are the characteristics (on those pictures)
>identifying with no doubt as an hematite ?
>
>Thanks all for your quick answers !
>
> Xavier
>
>The Earth's Memory wrote:
>>Hello,