AW: [meteorite-list] Lafayette

From: Norbert Classen <trifid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Sep 15 18:17:39 2004

Hi Bob & Bernd,

Maybe the Martian Maniac (aka Lunatic) can help where
Herr Lehrer's Schulweisheit fails ;-))

In Charles Meyer's "Mars Meteorite Compendium - 2003"
I found the following passage regarding the terrestrial
age of Lafayette:

"Using C14, Jull et. al. (1993, 1997) originally
determined a terrestrial age of ~8.9 +- 1.3 thousand
years. Jull et. al. (1999) revised the terrestrial
age to 2,900 +- 1,000 years based on the C14/Be10
ratio and comparison with data from Nakhla (with a
known terrestrial age)." Meyer, C.: MMC 2003, III-7.

Hope this helps. BTW, the new Mars Meteorite Compendium
2003 is a fantastic read, and I can recommend it to
everyone who's into planetary meteorites.

Best,
Norbert