[meteorite-list] Mazapil meteorite

From: Dr. Svend Buhl <SvendBuhl_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Sep 15 07:11:48 2004

Dear Listees,

I?m currently trying to track a piece of the Mazapil Iron. It?s a medium octaedrite that fell on 27th November 1885 at Zacatecas, Mexico. TKW was 4 kg.

It was the same night that the Andromedid meteor shower underwent a spectacular outburst. The simultaneity of these two events has driven speculation ever since that the meteorite was a fragment from Periodic Comet Biela, the parent comet of the Andromedid shower. However, refering to Meteoritics & Planetary Science 37 (2002) the occurrence of the two events was purely coincidental.

So far I know that ANMH has some material. Does anyone know if this is the main mass? And is there any material of Mazapil in private hands that I can purchase or trade. Any hints are appreciated.

Thanks for your help

Svend

NigerMeteoriteRecon
www.niger-meteorite-recon.de