[meteorite-list] New pallasite in Denver

From: Matt Morgan <mmorgan_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Sep 14 17:18:23 2004

Hi list:
I spent a few hours this morning wandering around the Denver show. It
seems there are less and less meteorite dealers each year, yet more and
more varieties of meteorites! Anyway, there is a "new" pallasite from
Russia being sold. The sources tell me that it is genuine ( I grilled
them about it) and stable. It is going under the name SEYMCHAN.
Interestingly, SEYMCHAN is listed as a IIE iron in the Catalouge. In
2004, there was an expedition back to the find site and the hunters
located an addition 50kg. However, many of these are pallasitic! Some
are completely metallic with no olivine. Some of the olivine is
transparent but much is pretty dark in color.

The slices I saw are quite attractive and showed no signs of rust
(unlike Brahin).

So is this another Glorieta Mountain where most of the iron portions
were located first then the pallasitic ones were discovered later? I
should have a few pics to post in the coming days.

Best,
Matt Morgan
Mile High Meteorites
http://www.mhmeteorites.com