[meteorite-list] AMAZING NEW "METEORITE" -FELL ON HOUSE!!!

From: Zelimir Gabelica <Z.Gabelica_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Sep 14 14:07:09 2004

Dear John,

I was very impressed upon reading your message describing the "amazing new
meteorite that hit a house in Venezuela", because... I was just in
Venezuela from Sept 1 to 11 (incidently with a really smooth return flight
on this "magic" date, though some remanent turbulences from our "friend"
Ivan the hurricane who hit us last Wednesday there over).
I thought that, by bad luck, I missed this new house crasher by a couple of
days...until I looked at the link, showing this nice agate-like egg/pebble!

Well, it turned that, along with some lectures on "advanced materials" I
had to deliver at a local sumposium in Caracas, the organizers gave me also
a "wild card" for talking about some more exotic materials.
I logically choosed the topic related to our beloved hobby, namely
"extraterrestrial materials".

About 80 local people were therefore suddenly aware that meteorites do
exist and now that John sent the post, I wonder whether we will suddenly be
flooded from various infos coming from Venezuela and describing some
"sudden finds in the backyards" or related local fall observations.
Actually, as my speaking time was restricted (those kind of lectures
require extended talks, questions included), I just skipped the last part
related to... meteorite fakes and the corresponding warnings...

I however doubt your post is really related to my lecture but what a
coincidence!

I keep you informed if I hear for more exotic falls or strange finds in the
forthcoming days from there. So far, Venezuela, a large country, was very
"quiet", with only 3 meteorites reported.
Maybe the Valera cow story, that I did not miss to report, excited some
imaginations...

Best to all,

Zelimir

A 09:59 14/09/04 -0700, vous avez ?crit :