[meteorite-list] re "Alien Microbes Could Survive Crash-Landing"

From: Dave Harris <entropydave_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Sep 14 04:05:25 2004

Hi,
I found this an interesting thread and it got me thinking about the various
crafts we send to other planets (ie Mars). I cannot see how one can
practically completely 100% sterilise the Mars Rovers - surely any methods
required to perform an efficient sterilysis would damage the delicate
components - one cannot irradiate thoroughly - it would affect any polymers
(at least) used in the construction, nor could one pump it full of ethylene
dioxide, or whatever they use as I cannot see that being particularly
healthy for the systems... so how is it done? Have we not contaminated Mars
with our organic debris already?

When I have seen images of the construction of various crafts in the clean
rooms - it always amazes me that the engineers, whilst garbed in hats and
facemasks, still have quite a percentage of skin showing - which must shed
flakes and bugs into the environment.

What are the implications then of a Rover 'discovering' signs of life on
another world? Can we determine that this material was not just a passenger
on Rover and that all we are looking at is our own dirt?!

Interesting....

dave

IMCA #0092