[meteorite-list] NPA 10-13-1943: Mystery Blasts May Be Meteors

From: VeIocity_at_aol.com <VeIocity_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Sep 13 11:32:19 2004

In reviewing the reports of skyfalls and bolides and what-have-you, I'm always intrigued with the official explanation having to do with "practical jokers" using high explosives to get their jollies. I've seen this preposterous explanation used in other mystery blast stories----my favorite was in Tennessee in the 1960s, I believe, when local authorities blamed "practical jokers placing bombs in the treetops."

Maybe there's a secret society of suicidal practical jokers out there, who live their lives in pursuit of the incomparable thrill of waking people up and rattling windows at 4:45 a.m. (?)