[meteorite-list] NPA 01-23-1941: Portion of Meteor May Be in Southern Maryland

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Sep 13 09:41:00 2004

Paper: Gettysburg Times
City: Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
Date: Thursday, January 23, 1941
Page: 7

Portion of Meteor May Be in Southern Maryland

     Washington, Jan. 23 (AP) - Dr. E. P. Henderson, in charge of the
National Museum's meteor collection, expressed the view Wednesday that a
large meteor seen falling at about 10 o'clock Tuesday night might have been
entirely consumed before it struck the earth.
     It was estimated the meteor fell somewhere within one hundred miles of
Washington. Witnesses described it as "about the size of a grapefruit."
Dr. Henderson said, however, it may have been ten to twenty miles high when
seen over Baltimore and Southern Maryland.
     Dr. Henderson said it was possible at least a small fragment of the
meteor fell in Southern Maryland. It would look like a stone, probably a
small one, seemingly much too heavy for its size.

(end)

Mark Note: You might remember Henderson from the Perry-Nininger letters I
posted. I plan on posting the Henderson-Nininger letters in the future.
There are so many of them I need to get a good portion transcribed before I
attempt to share them, otherwise order and timing might be a problem.