[meteorite-list] September 11, 2001

From: John K. Gwilliam <jkg_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Sep 12 21:28:15 2004

Yesterday, on September 11, 2004, there was a memorial service here in
Tempe, Arizona for the victims of the terrorist attacks and the
Americansoldiers who have died in Afghanistan and Iraq. The memorial was
held at Tempe Town Lakes and included 4,000 standard size flags set up in
long rows with each flag representing a fallen American. Each flag had a
yellow bow attached to the pole and for those who had died in military
service in Afghanistan and Iraq there was a tag hanging on one of the tails
of the bow that identified the fallen soldier and also listed the date and
place where he had died. It was very sobering to watch hundreds of people
quietly moving among the rows after rows of flags lifting the tails of the
bows to read the name and brief story written on the tags. The second name
tag I looked at was dated September 5, 2004. It made me heart sink to read
about this young solder from a little town in the Midwest I never heard of
- an American soldier that made the ultimate sacrifice just six days ago.

Like Bernd has suggested, take time to remember those who have died and pay
them tribute.

Best,

John Gwilliam