[meteorite-list] NWA 110 Photos

From: minador <minador_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Sep 10 00:34:00 2004

Hi All,

It seems that Adam is correct, as per Jeff's clarification. NWA 1110
applies only to the 118 g he submitted. Nobody denies that the material in
question could be from the same fall, and that it may be the same in every
way (and might be proven to be paired - following the right steps). The
issue is the use of the official name.

One thing that may be causing confusion is this. I can call a meteorite I
find along the RR tracks at Arntz a "Holbrook", and nobody would have an
issue with that (unless it was obviously different - e.g. an iron or MES).
I can also go to the person the Hupe's bought the meteorite from and locate
a specimen with the exact same physical properties, that was somehow
misplaced (perhaps I notice it in an overlooked hole in the floor). I
cannot call that piece NWA 1110 based on my personal observations and
reasoning. I can go through the effort that Adam did and hopefully get an
ok from the NonCom to call it a pairing with NWA 1110 and have a unique
number of my own.

Considering the time, effort and cost involved, I can understand why the
Hupe's want to protect that. My brother's business goes through the trouble
of having all of our original products patented, trade marked, etc. (thought
that doesn't always help if you have careless attorneys who don't observe
filing deadlines...) - it isn't cheap or easy to do that. It adds a level
of certainty for those who can afford to drop a few grand on space rocks.
And that sort of effort requires that those rules are respected, and I (and
I suspect most other holders of their material) expect them to follow up in
any way they can.

I think that Bob could say that his piece was found in the same area as NWA
1110 and that it looks exactly the same. It holds no water, but nobody
could dispute it. He just can't say it IS NWA 1110. As it is, I think it
would have to be an unclassified NWA unless he's had it classified. If it's
classified and is certified Martian, it still is a valuable piece - worth
having in any collection. In fact, none of this would stop me from bidding
if I weren't certain it will sell for more that I can afford. I will try to
snap up one of Bob's Amgala specimens though - those are too cool! I hope
both sellers well and hope some entity can come forward to referee this sort
of stuff...

Good wishes to all and to all a fresh fall on your lawn (or cactus
garden)...

Mark,
Vail, AZ