[meteorite-list] Letter from Jeff Grossman concerning NWA 1110 andpairings

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Sep 9 15:55:37 2004

Hello everyone,

With all respect to the Meteoritical Society the rules for submitting
meteorites are not exactly meteorite rules or laws. The organization makes
guidelines. I do agree it would be nice if EVERY NWA was individually
classified....and it would be nice if EVERY meteorite find was reported and
added to the total known weight. Meteorites outside of Africa, as well.

But we live in a real world and I do not think I will live to see such
things happen. Or at least as long as it remains set up the way it is, on
both sides of the water, that will happen. I have seen enough of the past to
see we are going to have more cases like NWA 1068 / NWA 1110 and NWA 869 or
the CR2, where stones are unofficially added to the total known weight.
Where more surfaces then when originally classification. If you haven't
noticed the Moroccan sellers have been pretty smart about only releasing a
small portion of a meteorite out, until it gets classified. This is not the
case of someone picking a Moroccan out of their pile or a rock off the floor
and labeling it "Martian". The trading in Morocco is very organized. Which
you have to admit is pretty smart on the Moroccans part.

And being a realistic person, I can accept that the next time the new "CK4"
(example) comes out, and four dealers are selling it (half under different
numbers) and I get offered some from Morocco, it's most likely the same
meteorite.

There are other problems with Meteoritical Society naming procedures. For
example, I have multiple stones from Arizona and Nevada that are classified
and have cordinates......but will not get official names. No biggie, I'm not
selling them.

Mark Bostick
www.meteoritearticles.com