[meteorite-list] NOT MAGNETISM (Was magnetism)+ (Was Pasamonte...)

From: Michael L Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Sep 7 13:20:37 2004

David,
        Your argument is sound.
        I have always been amazed people say about a magnet responsive
material, "it is magnetic." Which, as you have pointed out, is misleading
at best.
        To say, "Most, but not all, meteorites are responsive to a magnet,"
or, "Most, but not all meteorites are magnetically responsive" is both
proper grammar, and, most significantly, accurate and informative.
        To say, "Meteorites are magnetic" is both grammatically incorrect
(unless using the term, "magnetic" as in, "Most people considered Sammy
Davis Jr. magnetic.") and, even then, very much misleading.
        Best wishes, Michael

--
I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned
that most people die of natural causes.
--
http://atomfilms.shockwave.com/contentPlay/shockwave.jsp?id=this_land&track=
0&ratingBar=off
--
http://www.academycomputerservice.com/economics/charts.htm
--
"It is always a simple matter to drag people along whether it is a
democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist
dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the
bidding of the leaders. This is easy. All you have to do is tell them they
are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and
exposing the country to danger. It works the same in every country."
- Hermann Goering
--
When Jesus said "Love your enemies" I think he probably
meant don't kill them.
           Anonymous
--
For perspective, try THIS:
http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/java/scienceopticsu/powersof10/index.html
--
cool message fro Ben & Jerry:
www.TrueMajority.org/oreo
--
AMAZING photos of Aurora Borealis, etc.
http://faculty.rmwc.edu/tmichalik/atmosphere.htm
--
Hubble space telescope - AMAZING photos!:
http://wires.news.com.au/special/mm/030811-hubble.htm
--
http://www.costofwar.com/