[meteorite-list] urelite origins

From: meteoriteshow <meteoriteshow_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Sep 6 14:02:19 2004

Hello,

I am not a scientist and therefore not able to analyse Raman data futher
than seing which type of mineral was hit by the laser beam. But I have also
heard that some scientits suggest that some diamonds in Ureilites could be
presolar, and therefore not necessarily formed by shock... Also, I wonder if
Ureilites were formed from carbonaceous meteorites, as we would still find
some chondrules, even very rare, which is not the case... Ureilites are
definitely achondrites.
Well I do not know really, and I also wonder. I know from Raman data
obtained on one Ureilite that we found, that diamonds are located most of
the time in areas of the meteorite where mostly graphite can be found, which
is quite understandable. But I do not know how the reason why some of this
graphite turned to diamond can be found within Raman data. Can you explain
to me with words as simple as possible, as once again I'm not a scientist!
Thank you very much.

Frederic Beroud
www.meteoriteshow.com
IMCA #2491