[meteorite-list] GWB and Meteorites

From: Francis Graham <francisgraham_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Sep 5 12:30:59 2004

Dear List:
  One of the ironic things about Mike Farmer's
exchange is this: here we are in the 21st century and
the only way to get new moon rocks is for people like
Mike Farmer to collect them in the desert. Should we
not have research missions to the moon by now? While
G.W.B. has made some talk about this, what is being
funded?
   The Chronicle of Higher Education has deemed GW
Bush's administration one of the most anti-science
administrations around. Much of his core constituency
denies Darwinian evolution and modern cosmology, for
example. While the latest batch of planetary probes
(Cassini, the Mars Rovers, Galileo) have produced a
treasure-trove of information, those initiatives began
in prior administrations.
   I post to Farmer's defense, and on-topic: I think
we can do better in an administration when it comes to
promoting scientific progress in the planetary
sciences, and many other sciences.
   I will probably vote for Kerry.
   Just my two cents. And it's topic-relevant, so no
apologizies for this single, humble American citizen's
opinion. I know other planetary scientists have
differing opinions, and that's OK.

Francis Graham