[meteorite-list] large, radioactive ebay brahins from chenobyl area

From: mark ford <markf_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Oct 22 03:55:40 2004

Harlan,

Ive often wondered about this too!

If someone has measured an 'increase over background' then clearly the potential at least exists for a serious health issue..

I am an engineer in the nuclear industry, so I have access to Geiger counters and MCA's etc and I have extensively checked my Brahin but found no abnormal contamination, but that's not to say it isn't a potential issue.

As far as I know the Brahin strewn field extends reasonably far into the restricted zone, much of the land has never been surveyed, so the levels are unknown, I doubt much contamination would have penetrated deep into the metal, more likely most danger would be from any residual surface soil/moisture, that is still on the outer surface of the metal.

What would worry me more is the workshops that are cutting the stuff, airborne radioactive dust being an even more serious issue!

Just goes to show, every home should have a Geiger counter imho...

Mark Ford