[meteorite-list] Which one came closest?

From: Sterling K. Webb <kelly_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Oct 15 12:40:20 2004

Hi,

    Great thread!
    Closest to me was BENLD fall, 1938, nine miles to the east of me. It is the
first verified car-bonker meteorite. It crashed through the roof of a garage,
through the roof of the car parked in the garage, through the back seat and the
floor boards, and ended up in a small pit in the dirt floor underneath. This was
enough to earn it permanent residency in the Field Museum in Chicago.
    I have always suspected there were more stones, but Benld is a former coal
mining camp that was turned into small town when the mines closed. Its soil is
clay and trailings mixed with an truly incredible volume of early 20th century
machine junk, scrap iron, and slags. A searcher's nightmare. Leave your detector
at home.

Sterling K. Webb