[meteorite-list] Metal in Dhofar 979

From: bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Oct 15 12:39:55 2004

Bob wrote:

> My small slice of the Dhofar 979 ureilite is easily attracted to a magnet.
> It also shows what appear to me to be irregular, small patches of metal on
> its surface that scintillate under the light. They are visible to the eye
> as tiny flecks. If true I've never seen these before in a ureilite.

GOODRICH C.A. (1999) Are ureilites from partial melting of chondritic
materials? The answer from MAGPOX (MAPS 34-1, 1999, 109-119):

"Ureilites are coarse-grained (average ca. 1 mm) assemblages of magnesian
olivine and pyroxene with minor interstitial C phases and * m e t a l *".

Dhofar 837: "smaller grained minerals with carbonaceous
material and fine * m e t a l * veins at grain boundaries."
(Met.Bull. 87, 2003 July, p. A199)

WEBER I.et al. (2003) TEM investigations on the monomict ureilites
Jalanash and Hammadah Al Hamra 064 (MAPS 38-1, 2003, pp. 145-156):

"Ureilites are described as a group of coarse-grained ultramafic achondrites
composed predominantly of up to 70% in total olivine and pyroxene with minor
* m e t a l *, interstitial silicates, and elemental carbon.

Best regards,

Bernd