[meteorite-list] Dhofar 979 ureilite

From: David Weir <dgweir_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Oct 14 15:34:07 2004

Hi Mike and list,

I for one am struck by the texture of this new ureilite, and I can't
really figure out what I'm seeing. Under a scope with incident light my
19mm x 14mm x 2mm, 2.03 gram part slice is composed of virtually 100%
clear to yellowish, translucent to glassy, sub-mm to mm-sized silicates,
which allow for an almost see-thru quality (how's that for a David
New-like description :) I don't observe any matrix or opaque veins that
are typical in most ureilites. This appearance is very weird for a
ureilite, at least to the inexperienced petrologist (me!). I am very
curious to read Ted's description for this one when it's available -
maybe some other list members have also purchased some of this ureilite
and can share their thoughts about it - Bernd? If not may I highly
recommend this one as a unique ureilite, and that I concur with what Ted
Bunch told Mike about its being "maybe unique". An understatement I
think. Mike please pass along any information as you receive it.

David