[meteorite-list] Buried Treasure - OT with Links that work

From: tracy latimer <daistiho_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Oct 5 02:45:11 2004

About 6 weeks ago the US Navy and allies concluded RIMPAC, the annual war
games conducted in the waters around Hawaii for several weeks. During that
time, we saw a Sea Stallion leading a destroyer through the Auai Channel
between Maui and Lanai. Periodically, the helicopter would dunk a sonobuoy
in the water; obviously the exercise du jour was to locate an 'enemy' sub in
the area. We also saw a LA class sub go tearing out of Lahaina harbor at
what must have been 35-40 knots, then the skipper opened her up.

Possibly you found something from one of the many sonobuoys that must have
been deployed in the area, although I'm fairly sure the Navy does a good
cleanup job on their toys. It could also be a tracking device from marine
research; biologists love to tag whales, seals, turtles, and anything else
that moves through Hawaiian waters.

Tracy Latimer