[meteorite-list] RE: Nice Dronino?

From: JKGwilliam <h3chondrite_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Nov 26 00:22:24 2004

Have any of you who are fighting with rust/decay problems with Dronino
tried storing with desiccant in an airtight container after treating with
the alcohol/NaOH bath?

I can remember Steve Shoner telling the list about using the alcohol/NaOH
solution bath. As best as I can remember, he was the developer of this
process and had tested it over a long period of time. Two weeks in the
bath might not be enough. If the solution becomes discolored, put the
specimen in a fresh batch of the solution and remember to stir it gently
every day. Some stubborn meteorites might take months in the solution to
produce the right effects.

Maybe Steve can enlighten us one more time on this subject.

Best,

JKG