[meteorite-list] NWA's

From: John Birdsell <birdsell_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Nov 24 13:55:50 2004

Hi Larry, Mike and list. Yes, at first this sounds like good advice,
however this can lead to numerous problems as well. For instance I
obtained a beautiful large chunk of NWA 482 in a trade with you Mike,
and I know that numerous other dealers also have NWA 482 for sale. If we
were only to purchase from the dealer who had the meteorite classified
then this would pretty much eliminate such trades as all such traded
pieces would become worthless. Another example is Dhofar 019. There must
be 20 dealers all legitimacy selling this shergottite, which they
themselves purchased wholesale. Now if everyone were only to buy from
the individual that had Dhofar 019 classified (Serge), then Serge would
be stuck with around a kilo of Martian rock with no market for it except
for the retail market. He would be relegated to selling off 200 mg here
and 300 mg there for the next forty years. This would make the
acquisition of large, rare rocks retarded unless someone wanted to spend
40 years recouping their initial investment. The same can be said for
hundreds of other meteorites. This also screws the collector who may
want to sell one of his expensive meteorites to buy something else. If
everyone only purchases from the person that originally had the
meteorite classified then the resale value of these meteorites would be
zero. I don't think that the collectors are going to appreciate paying
top dollar for some expensive planetary meteorite and then being told
that "Oh yeah, by the way don't try to sell that expensive meteorite
that we just sold you because you are not the one that had it classified
and no one will buy it from you." This would really piss me off if I
were the collector that had spent my hard earned money on an expensive
and rare meteorite specimen. The best thing for dealers to do is to get
their meteorites classified by a legitimate research institution, and to
use their own numbers. If they want, they can say "my NWA XXX is
probably paired to NWA YYY" or "my NWA is paired to NWA ZZZ" depending
upon the provisional or final classification respectively. For those
buyers that want to be sure they are getting properly classified and
named specimens, they should keep track of which dealers do follow the
Nom. Com. guidelines and avoid those that do not. Fortunately the
overwhelming majority of dealers are honest and play by the rules.
Unfortunately, there is a lot of BS being put on the meteorite-list by
certain meteorite dealers of the "my meteorite is better than yours"
sort. Don't be fooled by this non-sense either-it is just a transparent
attempt at self promotion. There are a lot of very reputable meteorite
dealers out there that do not engage in these types of sales tactics,
and I would prefer to support these honest, reputable dealers.

Cheers

-John
Arizona Skies Meteorites
http://www.arizonaskiesmeteorites.com