Re-2: [meteorite-list] My Eyes Are Glazing Over- Need "Scorecard"

From: bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Nov 22 15:10:53 2004

Adam wrote:

> I consider myself a serious collector and NWA represents most of our
> collection. Some of the rarest, most scientifically significant and
> beautiful pieces have come from the Sahara. Close to half of all
> planetary meteorites have been pulled from NWA. If you do not collect
> NWA you are missing out on some of the world's best material.

Well put, Adam! I think Pekka was only trying to remind the meteorite-collecting
community that some collectors out there prefer to collect meteorites with a
"pedigree" in the tradional sense of the term, i.e.: name, type, class, fall or
find, country, state, date, mass, analysis, etc. - all those details which allow
these collectors to unambiguously attribute a specimen to a certain fall of find.

Others choose to collect meteorites from certain states or countries. This would
mean German meteorites in my case - well, there are only *two* in my collection:
Steinbach from Sergei V. and Bremerv?rde (breakage) from Rob E., a gift many
years ago).

Still others, collect nothing but NWA meteorites or Dhofars or Acfers or HaH's.

Then we have those collectors like David Weir, who strive not to get much more than
one specimen of each type so their collections comprise the gamut from A to Z, an
entire scale of types and classes (regardless of NWA or non-NWA).

I, for my part, belong to an "in-between group". I also try to get at least one of each
type or class (regardless of NWA or non-NWA) but there are also multiple pieces in my
collection (and I won't part with any of them - each and every piece has its own charm):

16 specimens - Canyon Diablo
07 specimens - Nuevo Mercurio + thin section
09 specimens - Allende + thin section
05 specimens - Odessa (iron)
10 specimens - Toluca
etc., etc., etc., ...