[meteorite-list] Wilcox Playa (Arizona) Meteorite

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Nov 19 04:50:04 2004

Hello list,

http://www.meteoritearticles.com/colwilcox.html

Seems I get the honor of introducing another U.S. meteorite to everyone.

I recently acquired this chondrite from a gold hunter in southern Arizona.
It was found on the west shore of Wilcox de Playa Dry Lake, which most of
you will remember as the place we had planned to group hunter last Tucson
show.

According to the finder he had sent it the University of Arizona, Center of
Meteorite Studies, where they confirmed it was a meteorite and requested to
cut a sample off for study, which they did. The letter from the University,
returned with the stone, has been lost so I will have to do a little
research on this one, but from his description of the person he dealt with I
think I know who handled the meteorite for him.

The finder's memory says it is an H5. Which appears accurate, there is a lot
of metal in the stone. Something I found interesting is that the meteorite
look a lot like, crust and surface features wise, to Bob Vernish's small L6
find on the same lake bed. Perhaps other meteorites, if we find more, from
the lake bed will have like features as well.

See Bob Verish's recap of Wilcox Playa meteorites from his Feb. 2004
Meteorite Times article.

http://meteorite-recovery.tripod.com/2004/feb04.htm

Could anyone provide good photos, or better yet, trade or sell me a type
sample of Wilcox Playa 01? I imagine this will get named Wilcox Playa 03,
even if it is paired with Wilcox Playa 01, but it would be interesting to
know. Wilcox Playa 01 is classified as an H4.

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
www.meteoritearticles.com