[meteorite-list] willamette iron meteorite

From: E. L. Jones <jonee_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Nov 16 02:47:21 2004

I doubt there is any that is legally available for collectors now that
the Feds have stepped in. I am pretty sure all the Willamette meteorite
is claimed and ratified by a US Federal Court as a native religious
artifact by the consolidated tribes in Oregon and thus subject to return
to them. They have claimed ownership of the <ahem>"main mass" in the
New York Planetarium and in a legal agreement they have placed the main
mass on loan rather than tear down the whole thing to get it out.

If it just came from Europe-- Shouldn't it be seized in customs? Sure
it is a ittsy bitty amount-- 45 grams as compared to the main mass but
those Native Americans were pretty successful and almost made the City
of New York tear down the planetarium. I don't think they would tear
down your house , Steve. However now that they know you know where it
is they will probably ask the FBI to seize it since it has been
recognized in a US Court as a native artifact. But if it were me I'd go
for it and fight them in court. You might fair better being a single
individual rather than being the city of New York.

You might be able to get the recognized owners to let you keep it on
loan if you can trade them beaver pelts or something else they need.
Maybe you could buy it and let the contact in Europe keep it for you and
you can go visit it. I don't think the US law directly applies to
Europeans. To get an artifact returned for overseas the owner has to
go through a UN Agency and it would take a few years for them to act maybe.

Good Luck Let us know how the trade goes.
EJ